How Things Work in New Mark Commons

Below is information and answers to many questions from new and existing residents.



If you have recently moved into New Mark, it is important that you complete the Resident Information form and send it to our Administrator, Shireen Ambush, or 301-468-8919. Please give her your name, phone number and email information. This will enable us to maintain accurate records. In addition, you will receive a printed directory of all New Mark residents..

Board Meetings

Board meetings are held the first Thursday of every month at the Clubhouse at 7:30 P.M. Any resident is welcome to attend. Special concerns may be voiced at the Community Forums held at both the beginning and end of each meeting. To contact board members, email

There is extensive volunteer involvement in running our community, and we welcome all residents who want to get involved in projects or committees.

Architectural Control Regulations and Tree Policy

Please be sure that you are familiar with our Architectural Control regulations and Tree Policy. Our Covenants govern all exterior work on our homes, a provision that preserves the integrity of  our mid-century modern community. In addition, it is important to preserve the tree stand in our community. You will find detailed guidelines and special forms for both Architectural Control and Tree Removal under the Administrative section of this website. The administrator also has available printed copies of this information.

House Numbers

If you need new house numbers, we still have some large, 4 inch black ones that can be applied directly to your outside light fixture. These numbers are extremely legible and more durable than those that can be obtained at a hardware store. If you would like new house numbers, call Abaris at 301-468-8919. .

Exterior Light Fixtures

Note that front door light fixtures are controlled by the Architectural Control regulations. We can no longer obtain the covers to the original outside light fixtures for contemporary detached homes and townhouses. If your cover breaks, you will need to replace the entire fixture. Acceptable replacement lights are: Hinkley 1650 TT and the Bay View Wall Lantern in Oil Rubbed Bronze [Great Outdoors by Minka].

New to Rockville?

Newcomers to Rockville can receive a great deal of information about the City from the City of Rockville website

Recycling and Refuse

The City of Rockville picks up refuse and recycling is picked up in New Mark Commons once a week–on Monday. In December 2009 the City of Rockville instituted a new, once per week, curbside refuse and recycling program in NMC. The City provided new wheeled brown and gray refuse and recycling bins. The following are some of the highlights of the City’s refuse and recycling program:

Holiday Collection – Recycling and refuse WILL NOT be collected on the following City holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. If a holiday falls on a weekday and your regularly scheduled collection day is on or after the holiday, your collection will be delayed by one day. Friday collections will be done on Saturday.

Single-Stream Recycling

Collected at the curb in the City-provided brown cart on your collection day. Carts must be out by 6 a.m.


Collected at the curb in the City-provided gray cart on your collection day. Carts must be out by 6 a.m. For more info, email

Yard Waste

Grass clippings are collected at the curb in biodegradable paper bags or easily emptied 32-gallon, rigid containers on your collection day. Brush and branches are collected at the curb; lengths must not be more than 8 feet. All must be out by 6 a.m.

Special Collections

All recycling and refuse items that do not fit into your brown and gray carts, including bulky items such as appliances and furniture. Call 240-314-8568 to schedule an appointment. Residents may receive six special collections annually.

Hazardous Items

Call 240-314-8568 for a collection appointment and instructions.


Collected at the curb. Call 240-314-8568 to schedule an appointment.

Removal of Dead Animals

Call Animal Control at 240-314-8930.


Please remember that carts are the property of the City. If you are moving from your home, call 240-314-8568 to arrange for your carts to be picked up. There will be a charge for carts that are not returned. Charges for carts that are not recovered are as follows: 32-gallon, $39.87; 48-gallon, $42.87; 64-gallon, $44.87; 96-gallon, $50.20.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Recycling and Refuse Division at 240-314-8568 or by e-mail at